When the skin is over exposed to the sun or UV radiation, the resulting tissue damage is known as sunburn. Sunburns are categorized in three ways, depending on the severity of tissue damage:
- First-degree burns affect the outer layer of the skin, causing redness, heat and burning sensation and eventually dryness and peeling of the skin.
- Second-degree burns damage tissues below the top layer of skin causing burning sensation, redness, discomfort and blisters that may ooze. (DO NOT pop blisters.)
- Third-degree burns damage all layers of the skin and may also damage underlying ones, muscles, and tendons. There is generally a lack of pain in the area because the nerve endings are destroyed. These burns need immediate medical attention in a medical facility.
In all cases, you can use homeopathic remedies to help sunburn pain. Increase fluids to prevent dehydration while recovering from sunburn.
Measures to Help Prevent Sunburn
- Limit skin exposure to sun, especially intense midday sun. Risk of sunburn is highest from 11 am to 3 pm but it is better to stay out of the sun until after 5 pm.
- Use PABA-free sunscreens that protect against UV radiation and have a SPF or sun protection factor of 30 – 50.
- Cover up with light clothing (a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and a wide-brimmed hat).
Relief of sunburn pain can be very fast when using homeopathics and cell salts. Natural remedies for sunburn excel in their ability to relieve burning pain and help speed the healing. Although there are various over-the-counter pain relievers (NSAIDS), these only relieve symptoms and also slow the healing process. Using Alive Vitamin C will help as an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant.
Natural Healing Protocol: Combining supplements will do more to support your body’s ability to function properly than using just one. Use the following remedies for best results — your ability to heal will depend on the severity and length of time your symptoms have been present.
Herbs for Sunburn Pain
Herbs are plants valued for their specific strengthening/ tonifying properties.
Aloe vera Skin Gel – relief of sunburn pain, cooling and easy to use.Calendula gel – heals and soothes burns; bacteria can’t grow in its presence.
Comfrey ointment – one of the best healers and soothes the skin.
Honey – very helpful but a bit sticky.
Cell Salts to Help Sunburn Pain
To make a cell salt solution, put up to 10 tablets of each cell salt in a 16- to 24-ounce bottle; fill with water and swirl to dissolve tablets. Sip throughout the day.
#4 Ferr Phos 6X – inflammation, heat
#9 Nat Mur 6X – helps get rid of dryness, regulates moisture to tissues
#11 Nat Sulph 6X – regulates liver health, regulates moisture to tissues
Sunburn Homeopathic Remedies
Homeopathic remedies are non-toxic natural medicines safe for everyone including infants and pregnant or nursing women. You may use 6X, 30X, 6C or 30C potencies.
Cantharis(#1) – sunburn pains, raw smarting relieved by cold applications. Also works well on 2nd degree burns (for blistering).
Belladonna – sunburn with hot red burning pain and throbbing symptoms.
Pulsatilla – itching symptoms, changeable symptoms. Better from cool applications.
Sol – when all else fails, use Sol. Person sunburns easily. Symptoms from a severe sunburn. Skin cancer.
Urtica urens – sunburn pain accompanied with burning and itching. Also for blisters from a second degree burn.
Statements made on this web site about nutritional supplements are the opinion of the author(s) and have not been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not meant as a form of diagnosis, or to treat, cure or prevent disease.
Information provided herein is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with questions you have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay seeking medical advice because of something you have read on this site.
If you are pregnant or nursing, always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program.
Copyright 2015 by David R. Card